by Denise Brown, RPN
1. What is your Business name?
Sole Pulse Foot Care Nurse
2. What is your website address?
3. What are your social media platforms?
- Facebook page: Denise Brown
- LinkedIn: Denise Brown
- Instagram: Solepulsefootcare
4. What do you do for fun (hobbies/interests as a break from work)?
I enjoy gardening, collecting antiques, visiting museums and going to auctions
5. What quote or Role Model inspires you?
I am inspired by Academy Award winner Sydney Poitier and I am also inspired by Barack Obama quotes in 2008 campaign slogan “yes we can” I believe that in everything if we believe you can it will manifest in your actions.
6. When did you become an RPN and what was your education route?
For twenty years I provided “Home-Stay” for international students in my home. It was rewarding experience. When my daughter was in her third year of university, I decided to go back to school and pursue a career as an RPN. I went back to college at 35 years of age, and graduated in 2012.
7. What led you to become an EntrepreNURSE (an RPN running an independent business)?
Being an entrepreneur allows me set my work pace and schedule for my clients and myself.
8. What is the focus of the business; what treatment do you provide?
The focus of the business is to provide quality treatment for clients with high risk issues such as diabetes, and other clients in need of foot care in the comfort in their own space. Some of the treatments that are provided to clients are: full assessment of the foot, cleaning and trimming of the nail, and a foot rub at the end. One client’s response was “if you could bottle the rub you could be a millionaire”!
9. How long have you been in Business?
I have been in business since 2013
10. What challenges have you faced?
The greatest challenge in running my own foot care treatment business was publicizing my name.
11. What have been your rewards as an EntrepreNURSE?
From a business prospective and the work goals aspects, it has allowed me to give my clients more quality care as I have more time to concentrate specifically on their needs and their well-being. I also appreciate the benefits to set my own work schedules and also spending more time with my family and friends.
12. What have you learned along the way that you would like to share with other RPNs?
I have truly learned along the way. They key for an independent business person is to look for networking opportunities. Networking helps to give you the assurance that you are not alone, and an opportunity to share whatever knowledge (no matter how minimal you think the information is). Someone one will appreciate it.
13. How has IBSIG helped?
IBSIG has been a great source of information and has provided opportunities for networking. I was able to get my first contract with a group home. Due to word of mouth, my patient roster has expanded.
14. What does your business future hold?
As the New Year approaches, I am working on expanding Sole Pulse Foot Care across the GTA, and hoping to employ in-house staff and members of my community. Currently, I have been relying on out-sourced work and doing a lot of the processing myself. However the hope is to have more in-house staff and expand with the aim of employing others and growing the profit base of the business.