|The Independent Business Specialty Interest Group (IBSIG) (of RPNAO) invites you to become engaged in our “Request for Action” by:
- Reading the document,
- Understanding our challenges, and
- Joining us in taking action.
IBSIG is a specialty interest group of the Registered Practical Nurses Association of Ontario (RPNAO) and is made up of Registered Practical Nurses (RPNs) who run an Independent Business in Ontario. These RPNs have furthered their education and experience, and have expanded roles in the communities, medical centres, family health teams and in private practice locations. The biggest challenge our members face, outside of running a professional business, is being recognized by the public, governments, professional associations and insurance companies – especially for payment of services.
IBSIG, and this Request for Action project, has the potential to pave the way for RPNs in Independent Business in Ontario and Canada, along with all other nurses who face similar issues. Help us find efficient solutions that benefit the public and expand their access to cost-effective nursing services.
Inside the document, you will find:
- A brief background about the evolution of nursing in Ontario, and the legislation and policies that guide the profession.
- A description of the challenges faced by RPNs in Independent Business.
- Proposed Actions for Government, Professional Nursing Bodies & Associations, 3rd Party Insurers, and for IBSIG pgs 11-14.
- An Appendix which contains some examples of Independent Nursing businesses that demonstrate the breadth of services available to the public outside of hospitals and community health care agencies.
Members of IBSIG are excited about this project and look forward to having you join the quest. We are in the process of gathering input and seeking support for this effort and wish to recruit you to advocate with us. We have circulated this document to as many groups and individuals as we are aware of, but please feel free to forward it to others who may have an interest in RPNs in Independent Business, or have a responsibility for setting policy or developing guidelines that affect health care within Ontario and/or throughout Canada. I look forward to hearing from you. Please don’t hesitate to contact me for further details, to set up a meeting, or to submit your thoughts.
With sincere thanks,
Catherine A. Arnott, RPN
Disclaimer: This information was prepared by the Independent Business Specialty Interest Group (IBSIG). The opinions expressed herein have not been vetted or endorsed by, or do not reflect the official views of the Registered Practical Nurses Association of Ontario (RPNAO).